Older Driver Safety Awareness Week
The American Occupational Therapy Association, Inc. (AOTA) establishes Older Driver Safety Awareness Week every year in December to promote the importance of older driver safety and mobility that helps ensure older adults remain active within their communities.
Here in Florida, the Safe Mobility for Life Coalition endorses and supports AOTA's national efforts by raising awareness and promoting events throughout the state. During Older Driver Safety Awareness Week each day will focus on a different aspect of safety and mobility to benefit for aging population.
Our #1 goal this week is to raise awareness and provide education on the available transportation safety and mobility resources to help keep Florida's aging drivers safe and mobile!
Many activities are scheduled around the state, or you can participate in these online resources.
|Click on the links for more info from AOTA on the scheduled topics||Anticipating Changes That Can Affect Driving||Family Conversations||Screening and Evaluations With an Occupational Therapist||Interventions That Can Empower Drivers||Staying Engaged in the Community|
|Click on the links to find more info on FLSams.org on the scheduled topics||Driver Wellness||Families and Caregivers Resources||Driving Skills||Vehicle||Aging in Place|
This year in support of Older Driver Safety Awareness week, we have partnered with The Volen Center, FDOT, and CarFit to bring our Safety is Golden Mobility Fair to The Volen Center's East Boca Raton location. This free and interactive safety event is open to the public and will share information for drivers, families, and caregivers.
Indoors, local and state mobility and transportation experts will be on hand to share resources with older adults on topics ranging from the impacts of aging on driving, how to be proactive about safe driving, and planning future mobility needs, including the use of other alternatives such as walking, biking, and transit.
Outdoors, a CarFit event will be taking place allowing drivers to find the perfect fit with their automobiles.
If you are in or near Boca Raton or Palm Beach County, please join us!
- Tuesday, December 6, 2016 from 10:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m.
- The Volen Center
- 1515 W. Palmetto Park Road, Boca Raton, FL 33486
In addition to the Safe Mobility for Life Coalition, the following vendors will be in attendance to provide local safety and mobility information to participants:
To participate in an event register online by clicking on the link or call the number listed:
December 6 in Lehigh Acres
9 a.m. to Noon
Stacey Payne/Melissa Barry 239-369-5355
December 6 in Boca Raton
10 a.m. to 1 p.m.
Fran Carlin-Rogers 407-422-0991
December 7 in Tampa
10 a.m. to 1 p.m.
Call 813-671-7773 to register
December 8 in Pinecrest
10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
Isabel Dossul 305-284-0900
December 14 in Ft. Myers
10 a.m. to 11:30 a.m.
Stacey Payne/Barbara Brice 239-939-6500 ext. 3248
December 14 in Lake Worth
9 a.m. to Noon
Sydelle Neustein 561-641-3859
- AAA Driver Improvement Class for Drivers 55 and older
- December 13 in Gainesville, 9:30 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- Space is limited! Please RSVP by calling (352) 373-7801 or sign-up on line at http://autoclubsouth.aaa.com/
- The Auto Club Group, 1201 NW 13th Street, Gainesville, FL 32601
You may hear these Public Service Announcements on your favorite radio station, or you can click the play button to hear these important messages now.
You Hold the Keys to Your Transportation Future
Its true! Only you know the best way to stay mobile, whether you are driving or not.
Tools to Help You Plan for Your Transportation Future
Family definitely tops the list of what's most important in life. But maintaining your independence is a close second.
Maintain Your Mobility Without Solely Relying on Family
One day you're driving your kids around, and the next, your kids might need to drive you around. ITS LIFE!
- View our Safety Tips video on YouTube at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3VtsMnkvtBI or click on the play button to see the video here.
- On Monday, December 5 from 3:00 to 4:00 PM EST, the American Occupational Therapy Association (AOTA) will hold a Twitter Chat in honor of Older Driver Safety Awareness Week. Please join the conversation using #ODSAWchat.
- Florida's Guide for Aging Drivers is available in English and Spanish. Get your FREE copy here!
- Tips for Talking with Aging Drivers about Safe Driving Concerns is a brochure to help families and caregivers talk to aging drivers about safe driving
Data supporting the Coalition activities and important areas of focus can be accessed by clicking these links that will open maps and charts in PDF format